- Over 190,000 children registered in the program.
- Over 791,102 Learning Activities Completed.
- Over 66,278 Learning Units Completed.
- 83% of users say the program helps their family. (From survey responses of 400 users)
- 40% of parents have seen an improvement in their child’s reading skills. (From survey responses of 400 users)
The Free Reading Program began as project of the Rotary Club of Scarborough. The program has earned recognition and awards at all levels of Rotary including the Doug Dempsey Literacy Award for District 7070, 2 Rotary International House of Friendship booth awards and a Rotary Zone Public Image award.
Our Board Chair, Heather Lennie is a Rotarian and loves the great connection Rotary instills in volunteers with common interests. Heather travels extensively promoting the program at Rotary clubs and other community groups. With a Masters Degree in Educational Technology and a love for kids, she believes the work of the organization is innovative and can make an amazing, sustainable impact on literacy rates.
After 3 years of operation it became necessary for us to raise funds to support our continued growth in a sustainable manner. In September 2018, The Education & Community Learning Center received Section 501(c)3 non-profit status.
Rotary Clubs in Florida and around the world help promote our programs. The ECLC has no paid staff. 100% of donations are allocated to the provision of our online, educational services.